Monday, October 22, 2012

Beginning of pumpkins and last week's shape monsters...

This week we began our pumpkin unit and boy oh boy am I excited!! We used our pumpkin "ballots" and voted this morning on how our pumpkin will be carved. It is looking like we will have triangle eyes, a triangle nose, and a semi circle mouth. The kiddos (and I) are super pumped about it.

Another thing that we create every year at this time is our pumpkin life cycle activity I found from A-Z Teacher Stuff. After reading several trade books on the life cycle of a pumpkin and discussing it, we use the handout below and color in the pictures. We cut out the pictures and then glue them closed onto green yarn to represent the vine of the pumpkin life cycle. Then we create our pumpkins. Today we started painting our pumpkins. 


 


We use non-waxy paper plates and paint them orange. Once the orange has dried, we cut a little hole at the top of one of them and then staple them together. After that, we paint black lines on our pumpkins but as you can see, we have not gotten that far yet!!

Another thing that I wanted to share with ya'll was one of our favorite Halloween activities that we did last year, our Spooky Shape Monsters. I apologize that I can not for the life of me remember which adorable blog I originally saw this on- so if you recognize it PLEASE let me know so I can give credit where credit is due!! I unfortunately did not come up with this super cute idea on my own. Anyway, these shape monsters are glyphs- as if we don't do enough of these in my class already anyway!



  

Another little tip that I am sure many of you all do already anyway is to either cut your die cuts out of scrapbook paper or to mount your die cuts onto scrapbook paper. This always adds a little extra touch that makes everything just a little bit cuter :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment